PURR ……. CATS AT QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE FROM APRIL 10TH TO APRIL 15TH
Since Cats first opened on the West End stage in 1981, it has become one of the world’s best known and best loved musicals. With a plot based on T.S Eliot’s Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats and award-winning music composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber; Cats, originally directed by Trevor Nunn, has since been presented in over 20 countries and in about 250 cities, including such diverse destinations as Buenos Aires, Seoul, Helsinki and Singapore.
The show has been translated into 10 languages: Japanese, German, (three versions for Germany, Austria and Switzerland), Hungarian, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, Swedish, French, Spanish (two versions for Mexico and Argentina) and Italian. The Swiss production required a bilingual cast who performed in German and English on alternate nights. The title of the show has rarely been translated, the Mexican producers did a survey as to whether the Mexican audience would like their production to be called Gatos – the response in favour of keeping the English original was unanimous.
The show has not only been presented in theatres, but also in tents in Japan and Korea, an engine shed in Switzerland, and school gymnasiums across the USA.
Cats hits the Queen Elizabeth Theatre from Apr 10th 2012 to Apr 15th 2012.
• Opening night: April 10th 2012
• Booking through until: April 15th 2012
• 2 hours and 30 minutes including one 10 minute intermission.
• Composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber
• Book Written by T.S Elliot
• Directed and Choreographed by Gillian Lynne
• Designed by John Napier
• Lighting Designed by David Hersey
• Directed by Richard Stafford
• Musical Supervisor Kristen Blodgette
1981 OLIVIER AWARDS
• Best New Musical – Andrew Lloyd Webber and T. S. Eliot
• Outstanding Achievement of the Year in Musicals – Gillian Lynne
1983 TONY AWARDS
• Best Musical
• Best Book of a Musical
• Best Original Score
• Best Costume Design
• Best Lighting Design
• Best Direction
1983 TONY AWARD NOMINATIONS
• Best Scenic Design
• Best Choreography
Queen Elizabeth Theatre
600 Block Hamilton Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2P1
You can purchase tickets by phone 1.855.985.5000, or on line at www.ticketmaster.ca. Groups of 10 or more call 1.866.530.7469.