CELEBRATING THE FORESTS AND GLOBAL PEACE – SEPTEMBER 24th, 2011
Earthdance, the largest global dance event in the world, began as a vision within the pyramid of Giza when Chris Decker (of Medicine Drum, the tribal trance band) sat in the kings chamber in meditation. He saw dance floors around the world uniting for peace. It began to unfold in 1996 with a goal of raising funds for peace in Tibet. Soon afterwards the Dalai Lama humbly suggested that there are many causes which may benefit from the funds other than Tibet. The main categories considered include children, indigenous peoples and the environment.
Earthdance events have occurred since 1996 in over 360 cities in over 60 countries, with locations ranging from the club-lands of New York to the rainforests of Brazil. September 24th, 2011 is this year’s Earthdance Day, when individuals, private gatherings and public events across the globe celebrate and activate peace through creative expression, activism and community-building. The aim of the event is to bring together global communities to create a synchronized global festival and a dance event to help fund humanitarian causes and develop an environment of peace and communion throughout the global aware communities. Vancouver dance community and all who would like to join with the global dance community for peace and celebration of the forests.
FRIDAY, September 23rd – the Earthdance Film Premiere of the long awaited documentary ELECTRONIC AWAKENINGS with chill sounds by Okya Dj Chill & Solitaire at Over/Mind Studios (Location TBA)
• 8:00pm – Shivayamhologram
• 9:00pm – Electronic Awakenings (film – In Electronic Awakening, director Andrew Johner lifts the veil on an underground spiritual movement that has developed within electronic music cultures worldwide. This close encounter with the mysticism of rave questions the origin of religion, and offers insight into future of man’s spirituality. It investigates this culture’s significance to the prophecies of 2012, how this bizarre and sacral relationship to electronic music has evolved the group overtime, and where it all seems to be leading them…)
• 10:30pm – Okya (Stereoshift)
• 11:30pm – Solitare (DAT Records – Milan)
• 12:30am – 1:30am – Chill (Noosphere 2012)
SATURDAY, September 24th – Earthdance Daytime at Stanley Park, Prospect Point Picnic Area, Schi’lhus
• 12:00am – Unity Yoga with Susan Horning with Dj Ash & Dj Nehana dedicated to the forests of the world. Get your tree pose ready!
• 1:00pm – Fritz the Kat (Perception)
• 2:00pm – Thought Photograph (Live)
• 3:00pm – Cannabinoid (Live) (VIM Records /Red Robot Records/BeLeaf)
• 4:00pm – The Earthdance Global Link-Up for Peace
The highlight of the annual multi-location Earthdance Festival is a simultaneous link up, when every event across the world plays the Prayer for Peace at the exact same moment – morning in the Australian rainforest, afternoon in California, midnight in London, and sunrise over the Himalayas – the Prayer for Peace is a profound and powerful moment that unifies our intentions for World Peace on all levels.
“We are one global family
All colors, All races
One world united.
We dance for peace and the healing of our planet Earth
Peace for all nations.
Peace for our communities.
And peace within ourselves.
As we join all dance floors across the world,
let us connect heart to heart.
Through our diversity we recognize Unity.
Through our compassion we recognize Peace.
Our love is the power to transform our world
Let us send it out
Followed by spiral dance in honor of the forests of the world. This year we will end the spiral dance with a circle dance and song by the Yawanawa tribe from Acre, Brazil. Join in solidarity with the indigenous peoples of Amazonia.
• 4:15pm – ShaMANoiD (Live)
• 5:00pm – Domino (UK)
• 6:00pm – Khan (Beheshto)
• 7:00pm – Sunset Ceremony joined by representatives of Ancient Forest Alliance and followed by bicycle procession led by mobile bicycle sound systems ending up at…
Earthdance NIGHTIME at W2 Media Cafe (#250-111 W Hastings St.) $10, Limited Capacity, Arrive Early!
• 10:00pm – 11:30pm – Airship (Perception, Sunshine Coast)
• 11:30pm – 12:30am – Jonny Dubs (Perception)
• 12:30am – 1:30am – Librarian (Bass Coast, Squamish)
• 1:30am – 2:30am – Naasko (Interchill, Kootneys)
• 2:30am – 4am – Commodity (Connecting Circles, Victoria)
50% of Proceeds go to Ancient Forest Alliance/50% to covering expenses. Presented by Tribal Harmonix, Over/Mind, Perception, W2 Media Cafe & Stereoshift.
This Event is by Donation (Please give a minimal donation of $5 and what you can afford beyond that.)