The City of Coquitlam has received a rezoning and development application to turn the 1.9-acre lot at 705, 707 North Road & 720 Farrow Street into a two-tower project: a 46-storey, 150 m (492-ft-tall) market condominium tower and a 20-storey 69 m (225-ft-tall) rental housing tower. This beautiful project is called Smith & Farrow by Boffo Developments Ltd.
The 0.8 hectare (1.9 acre) subject site, Smith & Farrow by Boffo is located in the Burquitlam-Lougheed Neighbourhood Plan, adjacent to the City of Burnaby border, on the east side of North Road, and bound by a proposed east/west walkway to the north. Farrow Street to the east. Smith Avenue to the south and North Road to the west.
The site is designated High Density Apartment Residential and is zoned RM-2 Three Storey Medium Density Apartment Residential. Currently, there are three existing buildings, as follows: 720 Farrow Street is a three-storey rental building with a total of 45 purpose built market rental units and constructed in 1967, 705 and 707 North Road are each stratified condominium buildings owned by the applicant, and contain a combined 48 units. The applicant purchased the buildings as part of a strata wind-up. One hundred percent of the former strata owners approved the sale. The building was constructed in 1977. The site is located approximately 200 m (650 ft) from the Burquitlam SkyTrain Station.
Other stunning and very interesting presale projects featured on our blog that will soon be coming to the Burquitlam area are: Burquitlam Park and Whitgift Gardens by Concert Properties and Soco by Anthem Properties.
The applicant, Smith & Farrow by Boffo proposes:
· To rezone the site in order to construct a residential development consisting of a 46-storey market condo tower and a 20-storey rental tower with an overall floor area ratio (FAR) of 5.5
· 482 residential units, consisting of 348 market condominium units, 134 purpose-built rental units inclusive of 21 non-market rental units (tripling of the existing on-site purpose built rental units)
· 688 parking spaces, five levels of underground parking. The parkade is accessed from North Road
· 20 parking spaces will be designated for people with disabilities, of which 12 of these parking spaces will be associated with the rental component
· Boffo is proposing two on- street car share vehicles. MODO intends to operate the car share vehicles, and has provided a letter of interest in this regard. The developer is also proposing a bike repair room located in the parkade, and has access to Smith Avenue
· In total, 461 parking spaces will be equipped with a 240 volt outlet
· A total of 4,523 sq. m. (48,000 sq.ft.) of indoor and outdoor common amenity space is proposed
· Indoor market condo amenity spaces are located on levels 1, 2 and 46 in the 46-storey tower
· Programming for the amenity spaces consists of: Lounge areas, family/kid rooms, music rooms, fitness areas, meeting spaces, guest suites, and a rooftop sky lounge.
· Indoor rental amenity space is located on levels 1 and 20.
· Programming for the amenity spaces consists of: Lounge areas, family/kid rooms, fitness areas, and a roof top sky lounge.
· Occupants of the market condominiums and rental units will have shared access to the outdoor pool, standalone clubhouse building and the dog run area. Additional outdoor amenity spaces include lawn and seating areas and children play areas.
Market Condominium Unit Summary
· Market condominiums are proposed in the 46-storey tower (340 units) in addition to townhouses (8 units) fronting North Road.
· The proposed 340 market condominium units will consist of one-,two-, and three-bedroom units, and one four-bedroom unit,
· The proposed eight townhouse units consist of two-bedroom plus den
· 45 (13%) of the units are three-bedroom, and are proposed to be located on levels 3-45.
· 42 One Bedroom (609 sf)
· 84 One Bedroom+Den (626 sf to 639sf)
· 126 Two Bedroom (877 sf to 932 sf)
· 50 Two Bedroom+Den (953 sf to 1,101 sf)
· 45 Three Bedroom (1,158 sf to 1,461 sf)
· 1 Four Bedroom (1,685 sf)
· Total 348 Units
Market Rental Unit Summary
· Rental units are proposed in the southern 20-storey tower as well as the eight townhouse units fronting North Road.
· A total of 134 rental units (113 market and 21 non-market) are proposed with a total FAR of 1.5, in compliance with the Official Community Plan.
· The Vancouver Resource Society (VRS) intends to own and operate the non- market rental units and has submitted a letter of interest in this regard.
· The VRS mission statement is to provide innovative opportunities for seniors and people with disabilities to enable independence and participation in the community.
· 11 One Bedroom (544 sf to 668 sf)
· 11 One Bedroom+Den (650 sf)
· 71 Two Bedroom 792 sf to 1,086 sf)
· 20 Three Bedroom (1,000 sf)
· Total 113 Units
Non-Market Rental Unit Summary
· 15 One Bedroom (544 sf to 668 sf)
· 6 Two Bedroom (792 sf)
· Total 21 Units
The market condo tower is sited to the north, with the rental tower sited to the south, to provide a transition in height to the 23-storey tower to the south The Burquitlam by Magusta. Smith & Farrow by Boffo towers use strong vertical fins with strong horizontal frames to mitigate mass and scale of the towers and the large covered roof decks on both towers, with circular openings at the roof, help to architecturally unify the two towers.
Two-storey townhouses at Smith & Farrow by Boffo provide residential frontage along North Road with the doors oriented towards the street, together with patios and steps help activate the street edge. The patios are raised slightly above grade, to provide separation between private and public space and the layered plantings at the base of the patios provide for a soft edge along the sidewalk. The townhouses are accentuated with distinct frame elements and warm simulated wood accents.
Materials and Colours
Proposed materials for Smith & Farrow by Boffo consist of extensive glazing including vision and spandrel glass, painted concrete, metal panels, and stone and the overall colour scheme consists of greys and blues. The distinctive concrete framing elements of the towers are a light grey finish and this same treatment is applied to the townhouses fronting North Road, to unify the character of the development.
Trees, Landscaping and Public Realm
Approximately 87 on-site replacement trees, of which the majority are deciduous, are proposed to replace the 27 on-site trees (all proposed to be removed). Trees and shrubs will be planted throughout the outdoor amenity spaces and along the perimeter of the site, in addition to seven trees that will be planted in the rooftop sky lounges. The southeast corner of the site will be enhanced with a publically accessible corner plaza (on private property), with seating, lighting, terraced plantings, a trellis, and pavers.
Irrigated green roofs are proposed on top of the townhouses fronting North Road and the stand alone pool amenity building. The green roofs will consist of a thin layer of growing medium. Benefits of green roofs include reduced urban heat island effect and improved stormwater management. Smith & Farrow by Boffo will be built to LEEDSilver equivalency.
ABOUT THE DEVELOPER
Over the last 45 years, Boffo Developments has built a solid reputation and a loyal following. They’ve achieved this by designing and building homes for a truly exceptional homeowner experience. An obsession for detail is inherent in every Boffo home, and their disciplined attention to design results in a very unique brand of liveability.
Every Boffo community is built intentionally, with a longterm legacy in mind – not just their own, but for that of their homeowners. To protect that legacy, they continue to care for their buildings long after they are built – as everything they build is a reflection of who they are.
Building Name: Smith & Farrow
Address: 705, 707 North Road & 720 Farrow Street Coquitlam BC
Developer: Boffo Developments Ltd.
Architect: Chris Dikeakos Architects Inc.
Interior Design: N/A
Year Built: N/A
Unit Sizes: 609 sf to 1,685 sf
Levels: 46-storey market condo tower and a 20-storey rental tower
Suites: 482 units in which 348 are market condominium units, 113 are market rental units & 21 are non-market rental units
Property Type: Residential
Neighbourhood: West Coquitlam
Deposit Structure: N/A
Cost/Square Foot: N/A
Monthly Maintenance: N/A
Cost To Purchase Parking: N/A
Cost To Purchase Storage: N/A
Contact Agnieszka Stryjecka for more information on Smith & Farrow, floor plans & pricing.
email@example.com MLA Realty 778.991.5881
Please take a moment to fill in the form below so I can keep you updated on Smith & Farrow as more information comes in. Pricing and more detailed information will be released shortly or simply revisit Vancouver4life.com to check for more updates.
E.&.O.E. This is not an offering for sale. Such offering may be made by Disclosure Statement only.